Oscar Wilde

Our seminar was based around Oscar Wilde, author of The Picture of Dorian Gray, as well as other plays, poems and stories.

Emulation:

If I ever get married, I’ll certainly try and forget the fact. What comes from it? A lifetime of headache. Trust what I say. Too many young men and women have wasted away what little they have as youths in pursuit of false romance. There is no romance in a definite proposal. The very essence of romance is uncertainty.

J.r.R. Tolkien

Our seminar was based around J.R.R. Tolkien, author of The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings.

“For me, Tolkien has always been a part of my life. His stories were one of the first I ever heard my parents read to me, the first films I saw, and the first inspirations for my own writing. When I began to write my own novels, his work was a tremendous inspiration to me, and many of his ideas and themes are emulated in my own stories. Without him, I never would have found an interest in writing or the fantasy genre: a genre I now typically enjoy working in.

His work also lead me to discovering other writers of the fantasy and science -fiction genres and their stories, some of which I drew more inspiration from for my writing. He revealed a world to me that I had never known before: one filled with imagination and creativity.” – Tony

Quote chosen

“There he lay, a vast red-golden dragon, fast asleep; a thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber. Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail, and about him on all sides stretched away across the unseen floors, lay countless piles of precious things, gold wrought and unwrought, gems and jewels, and silver red-stained in the ruddy light.”

(The Hobbit p. 249)

My Emulation

And upon the street, bright even in the grey light, lay a key, its surface gilded and aglow as if radiating with some energy. Around it, painted by its glow, the cobbles of the street seemed to shimmer like stars, their edges and rough surfaces, battered by so many passing feet, all alight.

MY analysis

Tolkien was a writer who used many long, drawn out explanations and descriptions. Some of his sentences can run multiple lines, filled with commas and semicolons and colons: all used in a massive conglomeration of imagery and exposition. This quote is no exception; it is a perfect demonstration, in fact, of his style and his tendency to be expansive, almost to the point where it is tiring. He is masterful, however, in his expansiveness, as grammatically, his long, drawn-out sentences are correct, packed with wonderful descriptive words and examples of colorful imagery.